Featured post

TV Series: 大秦帝國第三部之崛起 The Qin Empire III

I'd been waiting for the Qin empire 3 for almost 2 years.  It's now been released!!! The emperor (played by Zhang Bo in the series...

Monday 27 February 2017

Pao Pao or Fish muruku, a Malaysian Chinese snack

Today, I went to Loon Fung in Stratford, East London, after my job interview.  I decided to get a packet of Pao Pao (£0.90) (although the packet says 'Popo') to treat myself.

Pao Pao is a Malaysian Chinese snack which is a favourite among school children.  I grew up eating the snack.  My Chinese name happens to share the same Chinese character, Pao.

My earliest memory of Pao Pao is my sister would ask me to go to a local shop to get a packet for her.  The shop sold a lot of goods and played a role of a gambling dent.  Local men would meet up to play mahjong (a type of Chinese game).  The owner of the shop sold coffee and soft drinks to her customers to earn money.

I disliked going to the shop as the men would stare at me as if they had never seen a little girl who looked so fair/ pale.

Anyway, Pao Pao happens to my siblings' favourite snack.  And mine too.



No comments:

Post a Comment