Featured post

TV Series: 大秦帝國第三部之崛起 The Qin Empire III

I'd been waiting for the Qin empire 3 for almost 2 years.  It's now been released!!! The emperor (played by Zhang Bo in the series...

Monday 27 March 2017

Baking mooncakes: Lye water & maltose

On 23 March, I went to Wardonia Hotel at Argyll Street, St. Pancras, London, to meet my schoolmate for the first time in 23 years.

We have grown old and mature.  Monica has always been lovely and kind, as far as I have been able to recall.  She brought me mooncake moulds as requested.  

We decided to have our meal in Leicester Square.  The dinner was OK.  After the meal, I decided to leave Monica and her husband, Hong, to discover Chinatown on their own.

I went to Loon Fung to look for lye water and found one brand, Tung Chun, 500ml.  I decided to go to See Woo to see if I could get any cheaper.  The shop had the same brand of lye water but smaller in volume, 225ml, which was adequate for my 1st attempt on mooncake making.  I paid £2.25 for the bottle but didn't get a tub of maltose as it was priced at £1.60 for 500g at See Woo but £.149 at Loon Fung where I bought from.  

My plan to make moon cakes is going smoothly as planned.  Thanks to PRINCE2!!! :-)

red kidney bean soaked in a bowl of water, lye water and maltose



No comments:

Post a Comment