Featured post

TV Series: 大秦帝國第三部之崛起 The Qin Empire III

I'd been waiting for the Qin empire 3 for almost 2 years.  It's now been released!!! The emperor (played by Zhang Bo in the series...

Thursday 16 March 2017

One man's rubbish may be another's treasure

I have started baking recently.  I am kind of ambitious about this activity as I find that reading the ingredients and what they do to the recipe can be enjoyable.  For example, if a recipe (mooncake) needs lye water but the ingredient cannot be found in the local shop, baking soda (soda bicarbonate) can be used as a substitute.

My next project is making kuih talam or kuih kusui.  However, I realised that I needed several pudding bowls for steaming the mixture.  So, I began hunting for pudding bowls in my local shops. The new ones would cost £3.50 each.  I needed at least 6.  So, I went to a local Cancer Research charity shop to see if they have any.  I found a set of 6 glass bowls by Duralex for £2.25.  Which is a bargain.  

The next bargain is an ice cream maker by Kenwood.  I paid £6 for it.  I can now make both ice cream and sorbet.  

Charity shops hardly disappoint their hard core fans!

little bowls by Duralex

Kenwood ice cream maker

No comments:

Post a Comment